Connect with us

HTML Image






Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Ratu Viliame Seruvakula elected as GCC Chair



Former Republic of Fiji Military Forces 3 FIR Commanding Officer and Wainibuka, Tailevu Chief, Ratu Viliame Seruvakula is the new chairman of the Great Council of Chiefs.

Ratu Viliame was elected by members of the GCC at their meeting in Yatu Lau Lagoon Resort in Pacific Harbour this afternoon.

Ratu Viliame had played a significant part in defending Queen Elizabeth Barracks during the 2000 coup and mutiny.

He later join the New Zealand Army, and then the United National Department for Safety and Security.

Ratu Viliame got 27 votes. Meanwhile, Ratu Meli Saukuru the nominee from the Burebasaga Confederacy was nominated for first Vice Chairperson with 10 votes and the Tovata Confederacy nominee, Ratu Jone Golea Lalabalavu became the second Vice Chair with 8 votes.

There was one invalid vote.

The voting was supervised and assisted by the Fijian Elections Office.

iTaukei Affairs Permanent Secretary, Pita Tagicakirewa says if the Chair vacates the seat before the end of his or her term, the first Vice Chair will take over as Chair for the duration of the time left.

Tagicakirewa says after electing the Chair this afternoon, they have discussed the procedures but one more item is left to be discussed tomorrow before proceeding with the meeting.

fiji village

Continue Reading


Pankaj Udhas passes away



Pankaj Udhas will be cremated tomorrow from 3 to 5 pm .

Continue Reading


Trayd Tahau jailed for crime spree that included slicing off dairy worker’s thumb



A man whose crime rampage spanned the North Island – and included him slicing off a shop worker’s thumb – has been jailed for eight years and four months.

Trayd Tahau, 20, was also handed a minimum non-parole period of half his sentence by Judge Glen Marshall in Hamilton District Court today for his role in multiple aggravated robberies.

One of those took place at the Irvine Street dairy in Hamilton. Tahu stormed into the store with three others early on 17 December 2022.

As his co-offenders ransacked the dairy, eventually making off with $15,000 worth of cigarettes, Tahau ran up to the victim – a man called Nabin – who pleaded for his life. Tahau brought a machete down on Nabin’s hand, severing his left thumb.

Outside the shop, a member of the public heard Nabin’s screams and ran to help.

He confronted the group but was punched in the jaw by an offender and fell to the ground. Tahau swung his machete “with force” at the man, narrowly missing him, as he ran for the getaway car.

Tahau, who was on electronically monitored bail at the time for an earlier aggravated robbery, then went on the run for six weeks before eventually being arrested in Palmerston North after stealing vehicles at gunpoint.

He was also involved in the aggravated robberies of a Ford Falcon on 25 August, a Spark store in Te Awamutu on 31 August, and a Black Bull liquor store in Cambridge on 11 December.

In his first public statement since the incident, Nabin revealed that although his thumb was successfully re-attached, it still had little function and he relied on others to feed or drive him.

The 29-year-old, in his victim impact statement, said doctors had told him it could take one to two years to regain the sensation and use of his hand – or it may not come back at all.

He said losing the ability to use his hand “depresses” him as he was used to being independent.

He and his wife still struggled with the loss of their baby after she suffered a miscarriage just days after the incident, due to stress.

“I am getting emotionally weak every day. If this incident hadn’t happened our lives would have been totally different.”

He now took painkillers daily due to being in “severe pain” all the time.


Continue Reading


Copyright © 2022 The Buzz: Powered by Apna Network Limited - Concept by Digital Hub NZ